Navigation Menu+

Things To Avoid If You Want To Extend Your Stay In Australia

Posted on Apr 14, 2015 by in Uncategorized | 0 comments

If you have been studying or traveling through Australia and you want to stay longer, you may be able to get a new visa or add extra time to your existing visa. Ideally, you should contact a visa processing specialist and let them help you work through the process. However, if you want everything to go smoothly, there are several things you should not do, including:

1. Do not delay

When it comes to lengthening your visa or getting a new one, you cannot delay. Contact a visa processor or the Department of Immigration and Border Protection as soon as possible. If you wait until after your visa has expired, it can be very difficult to get a new one approved. If you have waited four weeks and your visa is 28 days or more past its expiration date, you may even get a temporary ban from Australia. Instead of being able to stay longer, you won’t be able to return for up to three years.

2. Do not be casual

This tip doesn’t refer to the fact that you should wear smart clothes to the immigration office. Rather, it indicates that you should find a serious reason to stay in Australia. If your study or travel visa is coming to an end, you need to get serious. In most cases, you cannot get a visa extension if you want to get casual work such as bartending or working in a coffee shop. However, if you can prove that you are a skilled worker or if you are ready to open a business or make a significant investment in Australia, that will increase your chances of being able to get a new visa.

3. Do not get married

Sure, it may be tempting to get married just so you can stay in Australia a bit longer, but a sham marriage is actually illegal. If you truly are in love, you can work with a visa processor to get a permanent spousal or domestic partnership visa, but you shouldn’t marry a friend for pretend or pay an Australian to marry you.

The penalties for contrived or fake marriages are severe. You can get sentenced to up to ten years in jail, or you can be fined up to $100,000. If you cannot think of any other way to stay in the country, you need to go home, join an internet dating site, try to find someone from Australia and then wait until you actually fall in love.

4. Do not break the law

In most cases, if you have broken the law, you will find it very difficult to immigrate. Keep this in mind as you travel or study in Australia, and if something seems like it would be illegal in your country, do not do it.

For example, recently a group of young German tourists in New Zealand stole a rental car from a carpark. They assumed that if the keys were in the car door, they could take it. Although they were released after paying a small fine, their criminal activity blemished their record in a way that could make staying in New Zealand or getting a permanent visa to Australia difficult.

Even if other travellers tell you something is done a certain way, don’t necessarily fall for it. If it sounds illegal, contact someone from the police, use the internet to do research or contact an attorney. Once you are assured it is legal, then you can move forward, but otherwise, avoid any activity that sounds dodgy or potentially illegal.

By avoiding any of these common mistakes, your visa renewal should go smoothly.

Submit a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Time limit is exhausted. Please reload the CAPTCHA.